Palm Springs & Desert area Real Estate

Palm Springs Area Real Estate Sales.

RUSSELL HILL, Realtor, HomeSmart, 760.898.8399; russell@poolsidewithrussell.com,DRE 1427657

Thursday, March 27, 2008

"Spare" landscapes around Mordernist Palm Springs Homes




Ann Japenga writes in today's Los Angeles Times that she doesn't quite care for the trend of homeowners in Palm Springs bringing modern design to the outdoors. In her article, which I liked a lot, and happen to agree with her on many fronts, she talks about owners of modernist homes ripping out mature landscapes and replacing them with landscapes that are sparer than the natural desert itself. In doing so, she adds, they are destroying habitat for birds, lizards, owls, etc.




I love and appreciate desert landscaping. I have many cacti and succulents in my garden, both front and back. However, my cactus garden is "lush", with a combination of textures and colors. I also have not stuck only with cacti, but have added other plants that offer more color and greenery. My desert garden is not spare by any means.




I think it's possible to design a "modern" landscape without it being spare. Obviously, not all plant materials will work, but just because it's cactus or an ornamental grass, doesn't mean they have to be presented in a sparse fashion or design.




Read Ann's complete article in today's LA Times Home and Garden section.




Russell Hill 760.902.3121 RussellHill.net




No comments: